Friday, January 20, 2012

A true horror story - Part 1

Yes, its true and it happened to me - the place is none other than Pune passport office. It was a bright morning (I do not remember the day of the week). I double checked my documents, tucked them in a handy file, grabbed my hand bag and set out for my "appointment" with the passport office. To give a brief history, my Indian passport was to expire in a few months and I wanted to get it renewed as soon as possible. I expected to breeze through the whole thing because I had already been once certified as a responsible citizen. Give documents, give money, give signature, take receipt - DONE !. This was what I expected. Little did I know that "Man proposes and the Indian government disposes" ! I applied diligently online, followed all instructions, took my best passport photographs. Back to the story now...My appointment time was at 10:00 am. To be sure, I reached half an hour early. I endured a couple of initial shocks. First, the building was nothing like a Central government office which does one of the most important jobs in the country. It was dilapidated, almost like a shack with rough overgrowth of bushes and sand everywhere in the so-called front yard. Second, there was a huge line of about 50-70 people in front of the office hut (Sorry, I cant call such structures buildings). However, my confidence did not waver. I had an appointment and I was early. I was in no "situation". Well.. well.. well.. guess what ! It look me less than five minutes to learn that every single person in that line had a 10:00 am appointment ! The so called designated time was just a cruel ugly trick played by the officers. Those who knew of it, sat there with bed n bedding since morning. Those naive ones (like me) stood in the mud n sand like pigs, clutching our files for life.. Thus the horror began..... (To Be Continued)

1 comment:

sara said...

nice writeup ..post the rest soon;)