Friday, May 24, 2013

An evening with a Mystic


Last Friday evening was a wonderful experience for us. We were extremely privileged to listen to some thought-provoking words spoken by none other than Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. S and I have been listening to him speak in numerous YouTube videos and other online resources and we were excited that we would finally be seeing Sadhguru in flesh and blood.

To start with, the day was rainy and the prospects of getting stuck on the freeway in traffic and rain loomed on us. Thankfully, the skies cleared up, so did the dense Friday traffic and we reached our venue a full hour early. However, S and I were eager to not let anything distract us during the talk so we proceeded to first fill our tummies in a nearby eatery. We then settled in seats that could give us as best view as was possible with our tickets. 'Sounds of Isha' sent beautiful reverberating music into the air. This is probably the first time I was seeing such a diverse set of people coming together to listen to an Indian man (I have only been in the US a short while now).

Sadhguru entered the auditorium with his usual poise, ease and elegance. The purpose of his whole speech, interspersed with good humor, seemed to be to plant a question in our minds - "Is human life just about eating, sleeping, reproducing and ultimately dying?". He said if that were so, it somehow does not make sense at all. After all, if we are here suffering every single day (bad bosses at work to life threatening diseases, we are fighting every minute) and having all those ups and downs with kids, family etc. and suddenly one day we abruptly leave - to what avail were all our endeavors? Even if some people may advocate that human life is indeed as illogical as that and we are born just so we could study (in some cases), earn a living, shed some tears, laugh a bit, eat a lot, reproduce and just leave, are those who do just this, happy? So, is there something called a pleasant human life? Can we make our life more meaningful and live more fully, peacefully?

All in all, those couple of hours were one of our best evenings. The little exercises that he asked us to do, the detailed observations he made us attempt - we enjoyed them all. And I must say that this was the first time I saw S giving a speaker his full attention. Right since we have known each other, it was a matter of debate between us - me asserting that listening involves not just ears and he insisting that he can still be listening but not looking at the person. When I noticed how for two hours, I did not catch S looking at anything/anyone else other than Sadhguru, I knew I had won the debate.

After the talk, S went around a bit while I stood in the corridor studying a catalog when someone gently pushed me aside, asking me to make way. I turned around and who should stand there behind me but Sadhguru! There was an American couple in conversation with him as he was approaching me. I had a clear look of him - two flashing bright eyes on a dark face with a grey beard. As he walked away, I silently managed to touch his feet.

S and I felt inexplicable joy and peace that evening and I am so happy we were able to make it. We came home, had a simple meal, talked more about it and called it a beautiful day.

No comments: