Friday, May 3, 2013

Be the change... !

"Memoirs of a Geisha" - this is the book that I recently borrowed from my friend. I had earlier read similar books but from different cultures, including Indian, Middle Eastern, European etc. However, I somehow did not expect that in a country like Japan, there would be misogyny. I felt distinctly sad and at the same time angry being shown repeatedly that, throughout the world, women are second class citizens. It is perhaps the greatest irony that on the one hand, women are expected to represent the honor of a family and on the other, are themselves almost never honored. It does not seem to matter how educated or how talented or how hard working a woman is when it comes to being subservient at home. Now, let me make one point clear lest some "cultured" people should argue that being educated does not mean that one should give up seemingly mundane household work (which includes cleaning up after the so-called head of the family). I am not against cooking or cleaning the toilets and the like but I surely do not want to do it only because I am a woman. I do not want to be told that it is my primary duty because men are too elite to be bothered about it. Is this not like slavery, some thankless job?

Anyway, these daily trifles seem nothing compared to what some women, like the one in this book had to endure in life. They are sold like commodities at a tender age or married off to fiends for a price, raped and humiliated, worked like slave animals, betrayed, insulted, crushed beyond repair . I wonder how we are still alive and can wish to bring more life into this world of hate and injustice. But then, I am reminded of people like Dr. Girish Mahadev Kulkarni, who started Snehalaya, an organization that gives a new hope of life to many destitute women and children. It should be because of such selfless men and women that the earth continues to breathe today. I just realized that I have myself not made any substantially good difference to the world other than writing posts like these and fretting. So, Gandhiji really meant it when he said - "Be the change you want to see in the world".

1 comment:

Roshan said...

The change has to start from the house. How women are treated in houses have impact on both men and women growing in the house. Like yesterday I was talking with one of my friend, she was talking about child care, that she can take care of a girl kid but does not know about boy kid. Like giving barbie etc... This way we are differentiating between them from kids only. Why only barbie for girl kid and not boy kid or why a car for boy kid not for girl kid. They are kids only they don't know their choices, and we force them what should they like. I don't know whether I am giving an apt example, but I think these small things start creating differences between boy and girl.